Work for the Dole is a work experience programs which places job seekers in activities where they can gain skills, experience and confidence to move from welfare to work while giving back to their community.
Job seeker’s undertake work-like activities at a host organisation or as part of a community based project: this helps participant in Work for the Dole to:
- develop the skills that employers want like teamwork, communication and reliability.
- increase their confidence and show that they are ready to start working.
- meet new people and make contacts who can be a referee.
- get involved in their local community.
- meet their mutual obligation requirement to continue to receive income support.
There may be job seeker’s prerequisites depending on the place such as police check or work health and safety training.
Who can do Work for the Dole?
Some job seekers need to meet certain requirement in order t keep receiving income support . These are called mutual obligation requirements.
Job seekers who have mutual obligation requirements (people on Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance (other), or parenting payment recipients whose youngest child is at least six years of age) need to complete an Annual Activity Requirement for six months each year if still in Jobactive after 12 months.
They can do this by participating I Work for the Dole or another approved activity, such as part-time work, part-time study in an eligible course, accredited language. literacy and numeracy training or voluntary work.
ctivities we are delivering
- GINDAJA SUBSTANCE MISUSE ABORIGINAL CORPORATION
- Administration, Kitchen & Cleaning Round 4 – GINDAJA SUBSTANCE MISUSE ABORIGINAL CORPORATION
- Sewing project – WUGU NYAMBIL LIMITED
- Knowledge Centre Activity – YARRABAH ABORIGINAL SHIRE COUNCIL
- St Albans – Op-Shop & Cleaning – THE CORPORATION OF THE DIOCESAN SYNOD OF NORTH QLD
Information Sheets to download
- Work for the Dole Host Organisation Handbook (pdf)
- Program Fact Sheet Indigenous Specific Work for the Dole Activities (pdf)
- Program Fact Sheet about the Work for the Dole (pdf)
- Job Seeker Insurance Guide – From 1 July 2018 (pdf)
- Health and Safety for Work for the Dole Activities – Information for Host Organisations (pdf)
- Work for the Dole Information for Host Organisations (pdf)